Behind the Scenes, Getty Conservation Institute, Getty Foundation, Getty Research Institute, J. Paul Getty Museum, J. Paul Getty Trust

What We’re Grateful For

Jumping for joy at the Getty Villa. Photo: Ginny Le

Jumping for joy at the Getty Villa. Thanks to Ginny Le (Thu Giang Le) for the great photo!

All of us who work at the Getty are pretty lucky; after all, we spend our days around great art and great people. For Thanksgiving, I asked several folks who’ve blogged on the Iris over the past year to name one thing (or maybe two) they’re grateful for about their work. Here’s what they shared.

I’m grateful for intimate moments with art and artists: from encountering something amazing from the GRI’s special collections to a casual conversation with Betye Saar.
Juvenio Guerra, Trust

I’m grateful for the diversity of interesting colleagues I interact with on a daily basis.
Anna Zagorski, Conservation Institute

I’m grateful for our visitors who photograph the museum and give me a fresh new perspective. They help me see the Getty for the first time, every time.
Steve Saldivar, Trust

I’m grateful that I can engage often with some of the inspiring and vibrant traces of artists’ creativity—drawings—from throughout the centuries.
Julian Brooks, Museum

I’m grateful to work in such a beautiful environment in Los Angeles. Making my way up the hill each day, I always appreciate the beauty of the trees and the occasional deer sighting!
Kim Sadler, Trust

I’m grateful to work in a building that houses several centuries’ worth of special collections—everything from an early 17th-century illuminated Neapolitan manuscript charting the search for the philosopher’s stone to Ed Ruscha’s negatives and contacts sheets for his 40-year project to document major streets in L.A.
Liz McDermott, Research Institute

I’m grateful for the opportunity to walk through the Villa gardens, studying the Chiurazzi replicas with Carol Mattusch and Luisa Fucito—arguably the two best informed people about such things—and for our conversations to be filmed and shared with the public.
David Saunders, Museum

I’m grateful that I work with people who are passionate about their work and who make the world a better place by expanding awareness of and participation in the visual arts.
Ron Hartwig, Trust

I’m grateful to get to connect art, the natural environment, and the city as part of my daily experience at the Getty Center.
Antonio Campos, Trust

I’m grateful to work in a place where I can peer at a miniature 500-year-old bird’s-eye view of a Roman landscape, then step outside and look out at a panoramic view of Los Angeles from the mountains to the sea.
Maria Gilbert, Museum

I’m grateful to work surrounded by beauty. For I equate beauty with care and, in this sense, with a fundamental optimism. So the visual feast lifts my spirit every day.
Alice Cisternino Jackel, Museum

I’m grateful to work with such smart, creative, and fun people.
Susan Edwards, Trust

I’m grateful for security guard Isak Popok, who stopped me when I was rushing through the galleries so that he could tell me “secrets” about the Impressionist paintings. Now I know exactly the right away to approach Claude Monet’s The Portal of Rouen Cathedral in Morning Light!
Amy Hood, Trust

I’m grateful when I’m engulfed in a swarm of school kids in the tram. They are so wiggly and squeal so loudly about the view that it makes me smile.
Nina Diamond, Museum

I’m grateful that I get to come to work in the Foundation every day and help visual arts organizations around the world. From one small office in Los Angeles, we’re able to reach and support projects near and far, from the other side of town to the other side of the globe.
Katie Underwood, Foundation

I’m grateful for Fra Bartolommeo’s The Rest on the Flight into Egypt with Saint John the Baptist, because I find it to be the most beautiful painting in the collection. And as a former gallery teacher, I’m grateful every time I see a visitor have an “aha” moment.
Bryan Keene, Museum

As for me, I’m grateful for you, the person reading these words right now. We make our website and the Iris for our online visitors, and we’re thankful you stopped by.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tagged , , , Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

*
*

Olympian Census #4: Aphrodite

Get the stats on your favorite (and not-so-favorite) gods and goddesses on view at the Getty Center.

Roman name: Venus

Employment: Goddess of Love and Beauty

Place of residence: Mount Olympus

Parents: Born out of sea foam formed when Uranus’s castrated genitals were thrown into the ocean

Marital status: Married to Hephaestus, the God of Blacksmiths, but had many lovers, both immortal and mortal

Offspring: Aeneas, Cupid, Eros, Harmonia, Hermaphroditos, and more

Symbol: Dove, swan, and roses

Special talent: Being beautiful and sexy could never have been easier for this Greek goddess

Highlights reel:

• Zeus knew she was trouble when she walked in (Sorry, Taylor Swift) to Mount Olympus for the first time. So Zeus married Aphrodite to his son Hephaestus (Vulcan), forming the perfect “Beauty and the Beast” couple.
      • When Aphrodite and Persephone, the queen of the underworld, both fell in love with the beautiful mortal boy Adonis, Zeus gave Adonis the choice to live with one goddess for 1/3 of the year and the other for 2/3. Adonis chose to live with Aphrodite longer, only to die young.
      • Aphrodite offered Helen, the most beautiful mortal woman, to Paris, a Trojan prince, to win the Golden Apple from him over Hera and Athena. She just conveniently forgot the fact that Helen was already married. Oops. Hello, Trojan War!

Olympian Census is a 12-part series profiling gods in art at the Getty Center.

08/03/15