As part of the 2012 acquisition of the M. Knoedler & Co. records, one of the America’s oldest and most preeminent art galleries, the Getty Research Institute Library gained two rich resources on microfiche for exhibition research, documenting select art exhibitions worldwide from 1673-1971.
Knoedler Library (Salons and Annual Exhibitions)
• These 1,951 exhibition catalogues are organized and color-coded by country name. Within each country they are organized by city, and then chronologically.
Knoedler Library (Exhibition Catalogues)
• These 9,146 exhibition catalogues are organized and color-coded by country name. Within each country they are organized by city, and then chronologically.
• Within the following major cities, such as Amsterdam, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, there is a breakdown by institution and then by date.
• Countries covered are extensive and include Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Romania, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, and Yugoslavia.
Indexes to these two invaluable microfiche sets are available in three formats:
• Print volumes: Salons and Annual Exhibitions and Exhibition Catalogues
• Microfiche of the print volumes
• Digitized keyword searchable PDF documents of the print volumes: Salons and Annual Exhibitions and Exhibition Catalogues
It is advisable to consult the index first in order to ascertain whether the catalogue required is contained in either set. The index lists the title of each exhibition, author of the catalogue (if significant), institution/gallery, city, dates of exhibition, up to five additional places and dates in cases where an exhibition traveled, and the approximate number of pages.
For the convenience of our researchers, the digitized print volumes of indexes are keyword searchable PDF documents. To keyword search in the documents, follow these steps:
1. Go to the library catalog record for each index available here: Salons and Annual Exhibitions and Exhibition Catalogues
2. Click on “Online Access Available”
3. Use the “Find” keystroke commands on your keyboard (Control + F on PCs or Command + F on Macs) to conduct your keyword search. Here is an example:
If you would like an orientation for these sets and/or the accompanying Knoedler Library Auction Sales Catalogues microfiche, or you would like to learn how to use our ViewScan Microfilm/Microfiche Scanner, please contact Reference by email or phone 310-440-7390 for assistance.
–Aimee Lind, Reference Librarian