From the Archive
On View at the Getty Center: Greetings from L.A.: Artists and Publics 1950-1980
In 1971, Judy Chicago and Miriam Schapiro established the Feminist Art Program at CalArts. However, the school was under construction and did not have studio space available yet. Undeterred, they began by working with the students on Womanhouse, a project in which a dilapidated mansion in Hollywood was converted into a space for installations and performances exploring women’s domestic space. Womanhouse was open for a month in February 1972.