From the Archive
On View at the Getty Center: Greetings from L.A.: Artists and Publics 1950-1980
Chouinard Art Institute was founded by Nelbert Murphy Chouinard in 1921 in downtown Los Angeles. Her goal was to establish an important art school on the West Coast, and the reputation of the institution grew through the 1930s and 1940s. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, Chouinard was known for its open environment and for progressive instructors such as Richards Ruben, Emerson Woelffer, and Robert Irwin. In addition to training aspiring animators, Chouinard attracted many talented artists as students and faculty. Enrollees included Joe Goode, Ed Ruscha, and Judy Winans, who helped produce the design journal Orb (1959–60) while in school. In 1961 the institution merged with the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music and became the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts). A decade later, the school moved to its current campus in Valencia, California.