Pasadena Art Museum
The Pasadena Art Museum (now the Norton Simon Museum) was originally founded in 1922 as the Pasadena Art Institute. It was located in the galleries of the Grace Nicholson Studios at 46 North Los Robles Avenue in Pasadena. Throughout the 1960s, the museum was home to numerous groundbreaking exhibitions under directors Thomas Leavitt and Walter Hopps. These included New Painting of Common Objects (1962)—the first museum exhibition of Pop Art, which included Ed Ruscha and Joe Goode; the first Marcel Duchamp retrospective (1963); and solo exhibitions of artists such as Llyn Foulkes, Sam Francis, Peter Voulkos, Emerson Woelffer, and Joseph Cornell. In 1969, the museum moved to its current location.