Home > Art-making activities, Getty programs, Reflections on Getty workshops > Day 2 of the Seminar: Exploring Sculpture, Decorative Arts, and Questioning Strategies

Day 2 of the Seminar: Exploring Sculpture, Decorative Arts, and Questioning Strategies

July 27th, 2010

The second day of the Art & Language Arts Summer Seminar was just as fun, thought-provoking, and jam-packed as the first day.

1. Marilyn Taylor Kremen
    July 27th, 2010 at 22:07 | #1

Great blog! I’m going to start work on a lesson that centers on A CENTENNIAL OF INDEPENDENCE by Henri Rousseau. I feel it lends itself to one of our 2nd. grade OCR units, Sharing Stories. Also, it is appropriate for another unit in our English language development program, called Celebrations – holidays as narratives and why we celebrate them. There is so much in this painting, I can see why it was one of the 2 used yesterday.

2. Antoinette Pippin
    July 27th, 2010 at 22:28 | #2

I loved all the conversations we had today. The VTS with the Musican’s Brawl was hilarious. I think I’ll use it in my novel. I told my daughter all about the elaborate coffer Jeffrey showed us today. Exploring with the 5 points of entry was very inspiring and gave me lots of great ideas. I think I would like to use elements of the “experiential” approach in our lesson plan.

3. Marisela Reyes
    July 28th, 2010 at 17:23 | #3

I always let my students play with math manipulative before a math lesson. I see how letting students play and explore with art will be very beneficial.
    I enjoyed playing with the soft playdoo.

4. Antoinette Pippin
    July 28th, 2010 at 21:02 | #4

Everyday I come home excited about all the things I have learned. Our visit to the tapestry room was amazing. I loved the “writing a postcard” from the setting of one of the tapestries. I was thinking it might even be interesting if you wrote riddles that went with each one and then they would have to figure out the corresponding tapestry.

I also had a great time studying the beds. I think that they are such engaging objects that you would have no trouble capturing the students attention and imagination with them. It really does make me want to get a new bed…with a canopy!

5. Marilyn Taylor Kremen
    July 28th, 2010 at 21:26 | #5

I will try not to rush my students and allow them to play with art materials, before beginning the lesson, the way I usually do with math manipulatives. Other ways to play would be to dramatize, in small groups, before writing a narrative, or constructing a work of art. This week has been fantastic! Marilyn