Art, Prints and Drawings

Honoré Daumier: Still Relevant after 150 Years

The French judicial system on trial: <em>A Criminal Case</em>, Honoré Daumier, 1865. The J. Paul Getty Museum, 89.GA.33

The French judicial system on trial: A Criminal Case, Honoré Daumier, 1865. The J. Paul Getty Museum, 89.GA.33

Years ago I found myself in the Metropolitan Museum of Art with a posse of 15 finance geeks in tow, enjoying respite from a college trip to study financial institutions on Wall Street. Being the only art nerd amongst the number crunchers, I had been unanimously elected to lead the other students through the Met. As we rounded a corner in the European paintings galleries, I came upon The Third-Class Carriage by Honoré Daumier, and excitement literally sent me leaping toward the painting.

With frenzied enthusiasm, I explained the importance of this sociological study of three generations of a poor French family riding in the third-class train. My description piqued the interest of my friends, so I expanded my art history lesson to other highlights from Daumier’s career, including his epic print illustrating the atrocities of the Rue Transnonain massacre, his satirical caricatures of the French legislature, and his biting exposés of the French judicial system and its inequities.

At this point, a guard got my attention and asked whether I was conducting a museum tour without permission. When I assured him that I was only 18 years old and telling my friends about some of my favorite paintings, he was skeptical. But upon being confronted with proof—my California driver’s license—he not only allowed me to continue my “tour,” he also joined our group and even began to ask questions.

I imagine the artist, who would be celebrating his birthday today, would have been pleased. Daumier was one of the most impassioned men to draw breath, fighting fearlessly to advance the Republican cause of democratic freedoms and social equality during the revolutionary struggles in Paris during the mid 19th-century—even to the point of spending five months in jail for a lithograph depicting king Louis-Phillippe gluttonously devouring all the nation’s wealth. Thus, I imagine our group’s passion on his behalf would have made him quite proud.

Though made more than 150 years ago, Daumier’s scathing critiques of the French government are still profoundly poignant—not to mention germane to the current political climate, as citizens of numerous countries wage street protests in the name of democratic freedom.

Happy birthday, Daumier—how I’d love to see your caricatures of today’s headlines!

Tagged , , , Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. peacay
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hi. Is it possible that the full – and not just trucated version – of the feed could be published?? It would be a great help. But thanks, I love your site!

• Posted February 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Peacay — Thanks for your comment! We were experimenting with using excerpts in WordPress to drive a section of home page, and somewhat inadvertently changed our feed settings. We’ve changed them back, so now posts should show in their entirety. Thanks for reading the Iris and noting this issue. –Annelisa / editor

2. daumier register
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

you are so right about daumier. to see more about the artist, look at http://www.daumier.org and http://www.daumier-register.org

regards
    dn

One Trackback

*
*

Olympian Census #4: Aphrodite

Get the stats on your favorite (and not-so-favorite) gods and goddesses on view at the Getty Center.

Roman name: Venus

Employment: Goddess of Love and Beauty

Place of residence: Mount Olympus

Parents: Born out of sea foam formed when Uranus’s castrated genitals were thrown into the ocean

Marital status: Married to Hephaestus, the God of Blacksmiths, but had many lovers, both immortal and mortal

Offspring: Aeneas, Cupid, Eros, Harmonia, Hermaphroditos, and more

Symbol: Dove, swan, and roses

Special talent: Being beautiful and sexy could never have been easier for this Greek goddess

Highlights reel:

• Zeus knew she was trouble when she walked in (Sorry, Taylor Swift) to Mount Olympus for the first time. So Zeus married Aphrodite to his son Hephaestus (Vulcan), forming the perfect “Beauty and the Beast” couple.
      • When Aphrodite and Persephone, the queen of the underworld, both fell in love with the beautiful mortal boy Adonis, Zeus gave Adonis the choice to live with one goddess for 1/3 of the year and the other for 2/3. Adonis chose to live with Aphrodite longer, only to die young.
      • Aphrodite offered Helen, the most beautiful mortal woman, to Paris, a Trojan prince, to win the Golden Apple from him over Hera and Athena. She just conveniently forgot the fact that Helen was already married. Oops. Hello, Trojan War!

Olympian Census is a 12-part series profiling gods in art at the Getty Center.

08/03/15