Art, Art & Archives, Prints and Drawings

Honoré Daumier: Still Relevant after 150 Years

The French judicial system on trial: <em>A Criminal Case</em>, Honoré Daumier, 1865. The J. Paul Getty Museum, 89.GA.33

The French judicial system on trial: A Criminal Case, Honoré Daumier, 1865. The J. Paul Getty Museum, 89.GA.33

Years ago I found myself in the Metropolitan Museum of Art with a posse of 15 finance geeks in tow, enjoying respite from a college trip to study financial institutions on Wall Street. Being the only art nerd amongst the number crunchers, I had been unanimously elected to lead the other students through the Met. As we rounded a corner in the European paintings galleries, I came upon The Third-Class Carriage by Honoré Daumier, and excitement literally sent me leaping toward the painting.

With frenzied enthusiasm, I explained the importance of this sociological study of three generations of a poor French family riding in the third-class train. My description piqued the interest of my friends, so I expanded my art history lesson to other highlights from Daumier’s career, including his epic print illustrating the atrocities of the Rue Transnonain massacre, his satirical caricatures of the French legislature, and his biting exposés of the French judicial system and its inequities.

At this point, a guard got my attention and asked whether I was conducting a museum tour without permission. When I assured him that I was only 18 years old and telling my friends about some of my favorite paintings, he was skeptical. But upon being confronted with proof—my California driver’s license—he not only allowed me to continue my “tour,” he also joined our group and even began to ask questions.

I imagine the artist, who would be celebrating his birthday today, would have been pleased. Daumier was one of the most impassioned men to draw breath, fighting fearlessly to advance the Republican cause of democratic freedoms and social equality during the revolutionary struggles in Paris during the mid 19th-century—even to the point of spending five months in jail for a lithograph depicting king Louis-Phillippe gluttonously devouring all the nation’s wealth. Thus, I imagine our group’s passion on his behalf would have made him quite proud.

Though made more than 150 years ago, Daumier’s scathing critiques of the French government are still profoundly poignant—not to mention germane to the current political climate, as citizens of numerous countries wage street protests in the name of democratic freedom.

Happy birthday, Daumier—how I’d love to see your caricatures of today’s headlines!

Tagged , Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. peacay
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hi. Is it possible that the full – and not just trucated version – of the feed could be published?? It would be a great help. But thanks, I love your site!

• Posted February 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Peacay — Thanks for your comment! We were experimenting with using excerpts in WordPress to drive a section of home page, and somewhat inadvertently changed our feed settings. We’ve changed them back, so now posts should show in their entirety. Thanks for reading the Iris and noting this issue. –Annelisa / editor

2. daumier register
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

you are so right about daumier. to see more about the artist, look at http://www.daumier.org and http://www.daumier-register.org

regards
    dn

One Trackback

*
*

Color for Healing

This sanitorium (tuberculosis hospital) in Paimio, Finland, was designed by architect Alvar Aalto in the 1920s. Unlike many hospitals, it was full of bright colors—including welcoming yellow on the main stairs and calming green for ceilings above bedridden patients. Aalto even created special chairs to open the chest and speed healing.

The building’s colors were mostly whitewashed later in the 20th century, but now—due to a grant from the Getty Foundation as part of its Keeping It Modern initiative—its colors are being reconstructed and the building preserved for the future.

More of the story: Saving Alvar Aalto’s Paimio Sanitorium

Pictured: Paimio Sanatorium, patients’ wing and solarium terraces. Photo: Maija Holma, Alvar Aalto Museum. A color model for Paimio Sanatorium interiors by decorative artist Eino Kauria. Photo: Maija Holma, Alvar Aalto Museum, 2016.Paimio chairs (Artek no 41) in the Paimio Sanatorium lecture room, 1930s. Photo: Gustaf Welin, Alvar Aalto Museum. Aino Aalto resting in a chair on the solarium terrace. Photo: Alvar Aalto, Alvar Aalto Museum, 1930s. Main stairs of Paimio Sanatorium. Photo: Maija Holma, Alvar Aalto Museum.

04/30/16