Gardens and Architecture, Getty Center

You Asked, We Answered: The Mystery Plant Is…

Spanish flag in the Central Garden at the Getty Center

“What’s that?” is a common question in the Central Garden, a place full of exotic and curious plants. “James Cameron must have come here when he was dreaming up Avatar,” I recently overheard a visitor say while pointing to some unusual specimen.

One of the most-asked-about plants is the one shown here, which blog reader Donna Martinez wrote to us about:

I visited the Getty last week and found a flower in the garden that I’m not familiar with. It appeared to be a vine, and if it didn’t have any flowers I would have sworn it was a morning glory, but it had spikes of yellow orange and red. If anyone could tell me what this flower is, I would appreciate it.

It is indeed a type of morning glory, which means it’s related to sweet potatoes and water spinach.

Have you guessed it? It’s Spanish Flag (Ipomoea lobata), which is named after the red-and-yellow flag of Spain, making it an appropriate favorite for this World Cup year. Flowers emerge red and then gradually fade to orange, yellow, and white, creating a candy-corn effect.

Spanish flag in the Central Garden at the Getty Center - close-up of foliage

Spanish Flag is an easy-to-grow annual that thrives on trellises in the bowl garden (around the azalea pool). “We plant it every spring in the same beds, and lasts about six months—it’ll still be blooming in September and October,” our horticulturist, Michael DeHart, told me. “Robert Irwin selected it way back in the beginning when he was designing the garden, and we redo it every year.”

It’s easy to grow if you start it early in the spring, Michael says, and doesn’t get many pests—but snails like it, so look sharp for slime trails and nibble holes (see photo above to know what to look for!).

Despite its name, Spanish Flag is actually native to Mexico and South America, so it makes a bicentennial fit with Mexican heather (Cuphia hyssopifolia) and Mexican sage (Salvia leucantha), also found in the garden.

But what’s in a name? “It’s really colorful and it gets a lot of attention,” says Michael, “and that’s what the garden is about.”

Is there a mystery you’d like us to sleuth out? Leave a comment or contact us the old-fashioned way at

Tagged , , , Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. energyadvisor
    Posted September 9, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Wow, beautiful plant! I didn’t know of this plant. I’m a landscaper in Surinam and we have a plant called “Brunfelsia pauciflora” with similar behavior.
    It’s common name is “yesterday, today and tomorrow”. The colors change daily from purple to lavender to white. Also a beautiful plant. I wonder if the “Cuphia hyssopifolia” also grows in Surinam.
    Thanks for sharing this!

Kind regards,

2. Lisa
    Posted June 26, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

I can’t believe this is an annual. At least from the picture it looks like it’s grown so far up the trellis. How fast does it grow?

• Posted June 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Lisa, You are correct! According to our book “Plants in the Getty’s Central Garden,” Spanish flag is actually “a short-lived perennial treated as a warm-weather annual.” It’s very tender (frost-sensitive), so most gardeners treat it as an annual. Like other Ipomoeas, it’s a strong, vigorous vine that grows quickly up a trellis — though not quite as robustly as its famously invasive cousin Ipomoea purpurea (common morning glory), an annual vine that can grow to 6 feet+ in a matter of weeks.

3. Mya
    Posted July 12, 2015 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

I found this in a 4″ pot at my local nursery and was happily surprised by how easy and floriferous it was, growing in a pot onto a balcony railing and spreading about 12′ in one summer. I collected seeds and spread them the next spring and have quite a few of them now. Highly recommend! Hummers love it too!

4. louise
    Posted August 10, 2015 at 7:40 am | Permalink

I came across this beautiful plant this weekend in a walled garden in West Dean (uk), I’m hoping I will be able to grow it in my garden.

#ThyCaptionBe: You Look Like Hell

You captioned this detail. And we’re revealing the full story now.

Escaping the in-laws or medieval Sea World? It’s actually an extreme punishment for a dress code violation. 

Here’s the full story:

The Christian tale of Saint Josaphat is roughly based on the life of the Buddha in a kind of medieval game of telephone, in which the sources for the text passed through Christian circles in the Middle East in the 8th century before appearing in European versions in the 11th century. 

Here an unsuitably dressed guest—we can see that his tattered clothing and scruffy facial hair have no place at the well-dressed gathering—is cast into the dark, open mouth of a terrifying animal. 

To make matters worse, the story is a parable in which Barlaam, Josaphat’s Christian teacher, describes the sinful who do not make the cut at the Last Judgment.

Holiday Lesson: Always check the dress code.

#ThyCaptionBe is a celebration of modern interpretations of medieval aesthetics. You guess what the heck is going on, then we myth-bust.