From the Archive
On View at the Getty Center: Greetings from L.A.: Artists and Publics 1950-1980
Womanhouse was the first project of the newly-established Feminist Art Program at CalArts. Judy Chicago and Miriam Schapiro, working with their students and a few other women artists, took over an old mansion on Mariposa Street in Hollywood and converted into a space for installations and performances exploring women’s domestic space. Womanhouse was open for a month in February 1972.