Bronze Medallion / Pompeyo Cepeda

Ancient Techniques, New Approach

i am: Pompeyo Cepeda

i make: Pottery

what inspires me about the getty is: The black and red Greek vases at the Getty Villa are a feast for my eyes. This is one of the reasons I love working with clay; the life of these vessels is practically forever. These ancient artworks inspire me to try new techniques.

to me, inspiration is: I used to think that inspiration was gained when one sees a beautiful image, but I have come to terms with myself and decided that inspiration comes while observing, touching, tasting, smelling, and hearing. It is possible to find inspiration almost by every action of my quotidian life.

I have not made any pottery in the last five months, all I can do is wait. I know that it will arrive at the right moment at the right place. A recent bronze-making course at the Getty helped me get on track, and in the right observational mindset.

I’ve already sketched out some things I’d like to make sometime soon.

Published by

Sarah Waldorf

I'm the social media lead for Getty Communications. I work on digital content production for blog, social, and website, and co-manage @gettymuseum across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.