Home > Art-making activities, Getty programs, Reflections on Getty workshops > Fun with Painting! A Great First Day for the 12th Class in the Art & Language Arts Program

Fun with Painting! A Great First Day for the 12th Class in the Art & Language Arts Program

July 25th, 2011

Teachers in the 2011–2012 class of the Art & Language Arts program were greeted at the Getty Center wish sunshine, bright colors, and a shared enthusiasm for bringing art to the classroom.

If you were part of today’s program, please leave a comment. Share one thing you learned today that you will take back to your classroom and receive a complimentary 11 x 14-inch reproduction of a work of art.

1. crystalwai1004
    July 25th, 2011 at 19:26 | #1

I had a blast today! I learned so many things that I can implement in the classroom, but one that I absolutely can’t wait to try out with the kids is the technique of adding salt to paintings done with liquid water colors. The result is so amazing and unique that I’m sure it will inspire creativity in a variety of art lessons. Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!

2. James Bean
    July 25th, 2011 at 19:35 | #2

I am one of those people who like to look at paintings… for about two minutes and move on (as mentioned in the reading). Busted! I always wondered how people could just stare at one for hours. I got it today! The time ran out on our first writing and I felt like I had barely scratched the surface of my subject- Spring by Alma-Tadea.
    It reminded me of a somewhat old movie, “The Maiden Heist” about three art museum security guards who are so in love with a particular piece that they steal each of them when the exhibit abruptly moves to Norway or something. Great movie for art fans.

3. Claudia C Morales
    July 26th, 2011 at 17:58 | #3

VTS is my new OMG!
    With this new strategy I could only imagine where my students discussions will lead to. The wealth of conversation coming from the Art work, the new questioning skills they will develop and their enthusiasm escalating. I as facilitator have an easy job, ease conversations, validate responses and engage my shy students into a rich topic.
    Wow! TY!

4. Annette Antilla
    July 26th, 2011 at 22:20 | #4

I really enjoyed learning about the French exhibit. I had fun observing the “Standing Woman” sculpture and making a stick figure with pipe cleaners and then adding foil to give detail to make my own “sculpture”. This is such an easy lesson to take back to use in my classroom. I know my students will love it!