Home > Art supplies, Art-making activities, Getty programs > Storytelling, Still Lifes, and Celebrations: Day 1 of the Art & Language Arts Program

Storytelling, Still Lifes, and Celebrations: Day 1 of the Art & Language Arts Program

July 30th, 2012

We are so excited to work with teachers from Jaime Escalante Elementary School, 42nd Street Elementary, Robert F. Kennedy Elementary School, Carlos Santana Arts Academy, and Woodlake Ave Elementary! We spent the day roaming the galleries while they were closed to the public and creating works of art bursting with color.

To the teachers who participated today, what is a specific strategy or activity that you will take back to your classroom?

1. Linda Szitkar
    July 30th, 2012 at 20:15 | #1

I really enjoyed the gallery walk with Peter. I will be able to help my children access mideveal pictoral art through story. Comparing the paintings to comics really helped to put them in perspective.

2. Karen Lee-Park
    July 30th, 2012 at 20:55 | #2

First of all, I would like to thank you, Theresa and Kelly, for an amazing 1st day. I have learned so much in just one day, I can’t wait to begin the school year… (well, I CAN wait, but I am looking forward to it) I would also like to thank Peter for enlightening me on the stories behind the paintings we saw, and to Sandy for taking away my anxieties about painting.
    The first thing I would like to take with me is the journaling activity we did in the morning with Theresa. I feel that it gives the students an opportunity to be able to not only look at a piece of work, but to actually study it, make observations, and to personalize the experience when they are asked to describe how they see themselves in the artwork. It also allows the students tap into the vocabulary they wouldn’t necessarily think of using with art. I can already see students feeling success and a sense of accomplishment with the activities that will be presented to them.
    Again, thank you, Getty Center for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful experience. I look forward to the rest of the week with great anticipation 😀

3. Sonia Faye
    July 30th, 2012 at 21:50 | #3

I will certainly be using the journaling process to have my students in the higher elementary grades describe a piece of artwork that they are studying. I love the method of applying what I am calling “guided meditation”, which is looking at a piece of artwork and answering a series of guided oral questions in a stream-of-consciousness manner while actively studying a piece of art– paying particular attention to the adjectives and verbs they are using. I like how that method engages the brain in two separate but integrated functions of listening and responding simultaneously. It keeps the responses honest, because they need to happen quickly in order for the student to move on and answer the next question. We often stifle our own creative responses because we judge them. This method allows students less of an opportunity to do that and pushes them to write down whatever comes to mind without self-correcting. Powerful.

4. Ethel
    July 30th, 2012 at 22:39 | #4

I LOVED the guiding questions elicited by Theresa as we were reflecting on the piece we chose. I understand that many students would prefer a “free choice” or non-interrupted writing exercise but both have a valuable place in the upper grade classroom. The short answers could become text for a “popcorn reading” within the whole class setting. These entries could also be used for a “Found Poem.” the options are endless! I can’t wait to use this with my students.

5. Tan
    July 30th, 2012 at 22:57 | #5

I personally enjoyed the gallery walk and the explanation of the paintings. Peter pointed out that paintings often times tell story, and I would like to incorporate this into language arts lessons to help my students with autism improve their comprehension. I also like how we look at lines, shapes, forms, negative space and balance of each painting. Art can certainly help reinforce these vocabulary skills in a meaningful and fun way. The still life drawing activity by Kelle was also very hands-on and connect very well with writing. I definitely will try it out in my classroom.

6. Harry La Motte
    July 30th, 2012 at 23:01 | #6

I enjoyed the aspect of storytelling in art as explained by Peter. He demonstrated it in a manner that brought home how to relate it to contemporary storytelling. It helped me see a new way to relate art history to my class so they will “get it,”. The painting made simple and economical was very helpful as well. For me it made it seem do-able on that shoestring with household items.

Thanks Guys!

7. Diana Bosworth
    July 31st, 2012 at 06:53 | #7

The journaling with guiding questions was most definitely something I will use in my classroom. Too often, our exploration of a work of art goes no further than verbal, whole-group discussions. Journaling is a great way not only to reach everyone, but to have everyone go much deeper in their interpretations and reflections. Thank you for a great demonstration!

8. Maeli Montecinos
    July 31st, 2012 at 07:33 | #8

What a wonderful training this is! It is my first time participating in this type of workshops and I love them! It has only been a day and I have been able to experience different art mediums, learn about art history and the principles of Art, and meet many other teachers who are eager to enhance the arts and language arts program at their school sites.
    With state budget cuts affecting us all, I especially love the tips we are learning about doing arts in our classroom on a small budget. I can’t wait to see what Day 2 at the Getty Center has prepared for us!

9. Rosario Medinilla
    July 31st, 2012 at 18:10 | #9

It has been an amazing two days at the Getty. Getting such an imtimate look at collections, galleries and art lessons has been a once in a lifetime experience. I only hope that I can instill in my students in this coming year that which has been instilled in me in these few,short hours.

10. Ethel
    July 31st, 2012 at 18:48 | #10

First i need to thank you for the unique experience of having the opportunity to view, up close and personal, those works of art. what a treat! Thank you!
    One way to support our EL students and those with special needs is for the teacher
    to “hold the pen” when using VTS and See, Wonder, Think strategies. The Shared writing can be taken through the Writing Process as the teacher models what good writers do, but using their ideas and points of view.

11. Noelia Monarrez
    July 31st, 2012 at 21:39 | #11

This training has surpassed my expectations. I am excited to incorporate the arts into my language arts program. I know my students will greatly benefit from viewing various art pieces, discussing them, and giving them the opportunity to create their own work of art

Thank you for this great opportunity:)