#GettyInspired video profile - Omar Brownson

Finding Nature in L.A.

my name is: Omar Brownson

i make: Change

Omar Brownson is the executive director of the Los Angeles River Revitalization Corporation, a nonprofit that is working with Frank Gehry to transform the river into a place that brings nature and people together. “Inspiration is the art of dreaming,” Omar told us, “and then actually making that dream a reality.”

Omar grew up on a Native American reservation in Washington State, and his family’s move to urban L.A. came as a shock. “L.A. was this very forbidding place. All of a sudden, I could only run to the end of the block.” He enjoys being high atop the Getty Center hill, he told #GettyInspired, and finding quiet moments in Robert Irwin’s Central Garden—a spot that offers a dramatic contrast with the urban maze of L.A. “To have both of those in the same place is a gift.”

Published by

Paula Carlson

I've been a web developer with the Getty's web team since 2000. Technical questions or comments about the site's functionality can be directed to me. Priority will be given to those emails that agree the Red Sox are the greatest team in baseball history.