Illustrated pomegranates / Sarah Ferone

Inspiration from Nature

my name is: Sarah Ferone

i make: Illustrations (and tend a backyard garden!)

what inspires me about the getty is: I do a lot of editorial illustration and some food illustration as well. I look at nature a lot to get inspiration from form and texture and color. We’re [Sarah and her partner, Casey] also novice backyard gardeners. We have a friend who does gardening professionally so she’s opened our eyes to what’s out there and introduced us to the names of things and interesting plants, pointing out stuff that we might have overlooked. When I come to gardens, now, I feel like I’ve got a bigger perspective and recognize and appreciate more.

to me, inspiration is: Inspiration is starting to see connections between things and seeing something in a new light, either by encountering something new that I’ve never seen before that kind of makes me go, “Wow, that’s incredible,” or even seeing something old with fresh eyes. This is my second time here at the museum and I love seeing the paintings again and coming out to the garden in a different season, seeing things in a new light.

I feel like every time you approach it, you have a different mindset and perspective or things reveal their different character to you.

All of a sudden, something connects in your head and you’re like, “How did that happen? And now I have to get it out. Got to sketch or write that down.”

Published by

Sarah Waldorf

I'm the social media lead for Getty Communications. I work on digital content production for blog, social, and website, and co-manage @gettymuseum across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.