Exhibitions and Installations

¡Sí Cuba! SoCal

Cuba on film: still from <em>I Am Cuba</em>

Cuba on film: still from I Am Cuba, screening at the Getty Center on June 11

What is “¡Sí Cuba! SoCal,” you ask? Well, it all started in New York this spring with a multi-venue festival celebrating Cuban culture, called ¡Sí Cuba!.

Then, coincidentally, several cultural institutions across Southern California, including we here at the Getty, realized we were all planning events about Cuba, too.  Since the events in Southern California begin at almost the same time the events in New York end (with just about a month’s overlap this May), we  decided to continue the celebration through the summer and give it a local name—and so ¡Sí Cuba! SoCal was born.

The festival, carried on to the West Coast, offers you lots of fun ways to explore the island nation through art, dance, film, music, and discussion. Besides the Getty, participants include the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, SPARC, the Segerstrom Center for the Arts, the Los Angeles Film Festival, and the Music Center in Los Angeles.

¡Sí Cuba! SoCal includes three exhibitions—featuring amazing hand-silkscreened film posters, political cartoons, and photographs documenting Cuba’s history; plus performances by the Ballet Nacionel de Cuba in Costa Mesa and L.A.; a film series with filmmaker Q&As; and a concert by the Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club® at the Hollywood Bowl.

Here at the Getty, we’re offering A Revolutionary Project: Cuba from Walker Evans to Now (through October 2), which looks at three periods in the nation’s history as witnessed by photographers before, during, and after the 1959 Revolution.

Sol and Cuba, Old Havana / Alex Harris

Sol and Cuba, Old Havana, Looking North from Alberto Roja's 1951 Plymouth, Havana, Alex Harris, negative, May 23, 1998; print, December 2007. The J. Paul Getty Museum. Gift of Michael and Jane Wilson, Wilson Centre for Photography. © Alex Harris

Plus, we’re putting on a free, four-film series on June 11 and 12, which examines both the beauty of Cuba and its people and the brutality of its political past. Included are four classics of direction and cinematography: Our Man in Havana (1960) directed by Carol Reed, I Am Cuba (1964) directed by Mikhail Kalatozov, Memories of Underdevelopment (1938) directed by Tomás Gutiérrez Alea, and Lucia (1969) directed by Humberto Solas.

Cuba is in the air this summer! To learn more about what’s on, check out the event listings on sicubasocal.org.

Si Cuba SoCal

Tagged , , , , , , Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

4 Comments

1. Allan Garner
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I live in Vancouver, Canada. I visited Cuba three times in 2005 and enjoyed my time there very much. I’ve often thought of going back to do a documentary on Cuban culture. I have some specific concepts that I would like to explore. Also I have a great contact at the Cuban Ministerio de Cultura that I have kept in contact with over the years.

Being Canadian my colleagues and I have easy access getting in and out of Cuba with no problems with immigration for filming in High Definition. If anyone who reads this is interested please feel free to contact me at the above email.
    address.

I look forward to hearing from you, Allan Garner – Vancouver, Canada

2. clari
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I am interested. Please contact me.

• Allan Garner
      Posted August 22, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Hi Clari…this fell through the cracks as I posted a comment regarding Cuba about two years ago. Can you tell me more about your interests in Cuba. I still have the great contacts with the Ministerio de Cultura and am currently developing another television concept with them.

3. lynn
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve been to cuba 6 times and want to go again, but would love to go with someone that has the time the first week in january.

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

All Hail Tiberius, Least Media-Savvy of the Roman Emperors

Tiberius was proclaimed Roman emperor on September 17 in AD 14, exactly 2,000 years ago.

He was also a bit wacko. “He was the least media-savvy emperor you could imagine,” says curator David Saunders, who has been in charge of this bronze portrait of Tiberius which leaves us on September 22. He point to this description found in the writings of Cassius Dio:

Tiberius was a patrician of good education, but he had a most peculiar nature. He never let what he desired appear in his conversation, and what he said he wanted he usually did not desire at all. On the contrary, his words indicated the exact opposite of his real purpose; he denied all interest in what he longed for, and urged the claims of what he hated. He would exhibit anger over matters that were far from arousing his wrath, and make a show of affability where he was most vexed…In short, he thought it bad policy for the sovereign to reveal his thoughts; this was often the cause, he said, of great failures, whereas by the opposite course, far more and greater successes were attained.

Moreover, David tells us, “Tiberius’s accession itself was a farrago: Tiberius sort-of feigning reluctance, the Senate bullying him, he being all, ‘Well, if-I-have-to,’ and in the end—according to Suetonius—saying he’ll do it as long as he can retire.”

Suetonius is full of great, albeit spurious, anecdotes about poor old Tiberius, David reports. “When someone addressed him as ‘My Lord,’ it is said, Tiberius gave warning that no such insult should ever again be thrown at him.”

Happy accession, My Lord!

Portrait Head of Tiberius (“The Lansdowne Tiberius”), early 1st century A.D., Roman. The J. Paul Getty Museum

Statue of Tiberius (detail), Roman, A.D. 37, Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Napoli e Pompei – Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli, Laboratorio di Conservazione e Restauro. Currently on view at the Getty Villa following conservation and study.

09/17/14