Art, Behind the Scenes, Exhibitions and Installations, Prints and Drawings, Voices

Getty Voices: Looking East, Looking West

The adventure started over a simple lunch and a small book in my mother language. Stephanie Schrader, associate curator of drawings at the Getty Museum, shared her exhibition-in-conception with me and handed me a pocket-size book in Korean entitled The Joseon Man, Antonio Korea, Meets Rubens by Professor Kwak Cha-seop, a historian in South Korea. Never did I suspect back then that I would be working on the “Looking East” exhibition with Stephanie a few years later.

Man in Korean Costume / Rubens

Man in Korean Costume, 1617, Peter Paul Rubens. Black and red chalk on paper, 15 1/8 x 9 1/4 in. The J. Paul Getty Museum, 83.GB.384

When my Getty graduate internship started in the fall of 2011, my involvement in “Looking East” quickly became more substantial.  As a Korean studying the history of Western art in the United States, my ethnic and educational background was fundamental to the task of linguistic and cultural translation, which was crucial not only to understanding the exhibition’s theme of East-West contact, but also to connecting Getty staff with Korean collaborators in Los Angeles and Korea. This work mainly took the form of translating virtually all email and documents to English from Korean, and accompanying Stephanie as a translator on her business trip to Seoul and at many meetings with potential Korean-speaking financial and media sponsors. With a cross-cultural lens, I assisted with research, reviewed and edited the essays for the related publication, and wrote labels for some of the objects in the exhibition.

Stephanie and I (seated, far right) with colleagues at the National Museum of Korea, Seoul, in November 2011. Back row, standing: left to right: Lee Jae-jeong, Moon Dong Soo, Min Kil-hong. Front row, seated, left to right: Lee Won Bok, Burglind Jungmann, Stephanie Schrader, Jessie Park

The exhibition presents the earliest encounters between Korea/Asia and Europe, and this larger project of “looking East” established a platform for a dialogue between Korean costume historians, historians of Korean art, historians of European art, and Rubens scholars. This dialogue helped us to understand the enduring importance of Peter Paul Rubens’s “Man in Korean Costume” within Korea.

This exchange between scholars of multiple nationalities led to collaboration across the globe, resulting in a wonderful display of Korean and European works of art in one exhibition for the first time in the States, and much fruitful and exciting research presented at a recent symposium at the Getty. At the same time, this dialogue occasionally came with a culturally-filtered reading of the exhibition-related material. The perspectives from the East and the West made sense to me; I found myself standing between people of two different cultures, helping them understand each other.

Through the exhibition, the West looks east to further grasp the history, culture, and mentalities that uniquely shaped Korea and thereby to understand why Rubens’s incredible drawing continues to pique the interest of Koreans and, more broadly, Korean-Americans. Meanwhile, Korea looks west to trace its earliest encounters with Europe, albeit indirectly through the Jesuits in China, and to reconstruct its ability to captivate the eyes of Rubens, his contemporaries, and beyond. Rubens’s Man in Korean Costume is where the West meets the East, and the East meets the West.

Connect with more “Looking East, Looking West” content from this week’s Getty Voices:

Tagged , , , , , , , Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Trackback

• By Rubens’ Korea | Think East West | 東西思考 on March 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

[…] Getty Voices: Looking East, Looking West Jessie Park | March 25, 2013   The adventure started over a simple lunch and a small book in my mother language. Stephanie Schrader, associate curator of drawings at the Getty Museum, shared her exhibition-in-conception with me and handed me a pocket-size book in Korean entitled The Joseon Man, Antonio Korea, Meets Rubens by Professor Kwak Cha-seop, a historian in South Korea. Never did I suspect back then that I would be working on the “Looking East” exhibition with Stephanie a few years later.   http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/getty-voices-looking-east-looking-west/ […]

*
*

#ThyCaptionBe: Warnings to the Rich & Powerful

You captioned this detail. And we’re revealing the full story now.

It would be awesome if this was Medieval hangman, or a really awkward frat party, but it’s actually the result of a one-letter swap gone wrong in a book about the fates of the rich. 

Here’s the full story:

You sometimes regret what pops out unexpectedly when you open your mouth, but in this case, even the fish must have been quite surprised when a wooly lamb burst forth. 

The stories in this text by Giovanni Boccaccio warn of the terrible fate that often awaits the rich and powerful. He uses here the example of King Polycrates, who tossed a ring into a river, hoping for good luck, and found it later in the mouth of a fish. 

Someone got confused, though, and instead of a ring (in French, annel), what came out instead was a lamb (agnel). Apparently, neither the ring nor the lamb worked because the king was later hanged (background).

#ThyCaptionBe is a celebration of modern interpretations of medieval aesthetics. You guess what the heck is going on, then we myth-bust.

08/31/15